May 30, 2011

Living in the summer sun.

My summer has been pretty good so far.

For whatever reason, the last day of school didn't feel like the last. Puja drove me home early from our exam. Then I went to Unleashed, aka this huge party put on at Aniesa's church, with my friends. We played Starburst wars and sumo wresting twister. I left, got a free smoothie and then went to go play tennis with Kyle and three other friends of mine that are back from their first year of college. It definitely reminded me of last summer.

I finished reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close the other day. I'll admit, I bawled my eyes out throughout almost the entire book. Since I'm terribly behind on my 2011 Reading Challenge, I spent this past week reading The Glass Menagerie and Death of a Salesman. I think I should get in a better habit of writing reviews on my Goodreads account, but it will suffice to say neither were my favorite.

I took a trip to Barnes & Noble and bought copies of Looking for Alaska, The Catcher in the Rye, and To Kill a Mockingbird, three books I love dearly. I'm not sure what to make of the expanding teen fiction and vampire teen fiction sections I saw, though. I mean, I'm all for teens reading more, but when will they realize what they're reading -- for the most part -- is garbage and smut? Amongst the books available at B&N, I recommend City of Bones, Ender's Game and The Hunger Games trilogy to anyone who hasn't read 'em. (Disclaimer: The fourth in the City of Bones series was kind of lame, i.e. a 'filler' between the remaining two.) If you're looking for book recommendations, Natalie has written quite a few on mix tape.

Yesterday I ate Chinese buffet and went bowling with Emilia, David and Chris. We laughed at our pitiful scores and talked about Justin Bieber dolls. Yes, as scary as it sounds, they exist. I plan to add my fortune to my Moleskine, which is in the process of becoming a "hip" scrapbook of mine.

During the past week I saw Gnomeo & Juliet and Megamind on DVD. Both were endearing yet only mildly entertaining hence their rented status. I bought a copy of Atonement and The Last Station to add to my James McAvoy film shrine collection, though.

Today my older brother comes home from college. I've missed him. A lot.

Now my time should be devoted to studying for SAT and my one last remaining Cambridge exam because both are incredibly important.

I'll catch you guys on the flipside.

9 comments:

  1. That does indeed sound like a good summer :) Also, you have good taste in books. Jussayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely start to your summer!

    Chinese buffet sounds so good right now. I haven't been to one in so long. The ones in the city here are pretty gross, so we wait for trips up north to go to them. Cleaner. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Everything Is Illuminated next! I absolutely adore Jonathan Safran Foer's writing style. I really want to read Eating Animals next, but it's always checked out from the library...

    Check inside your copy of Looking For Alaska in case there's a Nerdfighter note in it! :D

    But yeah, sadly I try to steer clear of the teen section for the most part. Stupid vampires making all teenage girls look... well... stupid...

    Justin Bieber dolls? Oh, dear.

    Oh yeah... I'm taking the SAT on Saturday too! And the ACT next Saturday, which is on my birthday. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh! I forgot I was taking the SAT on Saturday... :(

    And inside my tiny red moleskin I have three pages full of fortunes taped inside :) Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're out of school already?!

    Ok, I'm seriously jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, fortunes have sort of become my thing nowadays...mainly because I can't think up anything brilliant or sagacious without something to go on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOAH YOUR BANNER.

    Are you going to do something for Mix Tape's first birthday? It's on the fifteenth! That totally just occured to me, haha. And I was like: what if someone forgot? Not that you would forget, but just in case, you know? Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mean you wouldn't be happy if someone just gave you a wooden block out of nowhere? Haha, no offense taken, I just like simple things, and what's more simple than a wooden rectangle?

    Boring is just another word for responsible! :D

    YOU'RE RIGHT. I SHOULD MAKE THESE LAST FEW DAYS COUNT. I THINK I'LL CONFESS MY DEEP INNERMOST FEELINGS TO A CERTAIN SOMEONE. Except I won't, but it's a nice thought :)

    A giveaway would be cool! You could give away things that have been mentioned in Mix Tape posts, like movies or books or stuff, or FOOD, or CRAFTS. People have done crafts on there, right? Bah, I don't even remember. But still, that would be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great summer so far! Oh and have you seen the new X-Men yet? James McAvoy is quite amazing in it. :)Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete